Yamato and Neopost to open parcel locker network in Japan

LinkedIn +

Japanese parcel delivery firm Yamato Transport has partnered with mail and shipping solutions provider Neopost to open and operate a network of automated parcel lockers throughout Japan.

The lockers will be installed at easily accessible locations and transport hubs, including railway stations and Yamato branches, and will be primarily used to combat unsuccessful home deliveries, which currently represent about 20% of all of Yamato’s daily operations.

The lockers will be operated through a joint venture company formed by the two companies, with Neopost retaining 51% of ownership and Yamato owning the remaining 49%. The final joint-venture contract will be signed in March 2016.

Yutaka Nagao, president of Yamato Transport, said, “It is my utmost pleasure and honor to announce that Neopost and Yamato Transport have an agreement in principle to form a joint venture to provide an open locker network service in Japan. I trust that this will be a key addition to the parcel delivery service that we have been offering for the last 40 years.

“Japanese society will realize and enjoy a new pattern of lifestyle by experiencing a unique, efficient and more convenient open locker network, developed by Neopost’s know-how fostered in the industry. Even though this is the first time any parcel delivery company has attempted to offer such a service in the Japanese market, I can say with sincerity and utmost confidence that the collaboration of Neopost and Yamato Transport will result in a very successful and sound service.”

Denis Thiery, chairman and CEO of Neopost, said, “We are extremely proud and happy to join forces with Yamato Transport in providing a unique and shared solution that will facilitate parcel delivery in Japan. This agreement will further strengthen our global positioning as parcel facilitator and promote Neopost Shipping delivery services as an efficient way to address the needs created by the expansion of e-commerce.”

February 3, 2016

Share this story:

About Author

, editor-in-chief

Helen has worked for UKi Media & Events for nearly a decade. She joined the company as assistant editor on Passenger Terminal World and since progressed to become editor of five publications, covering everything from aviation, logistics and e-commerce to meteorology. She has a love for travel and property and has redeveloped three houses in three years. When she’s not editing magazines, she’s running around after her two boys and their partner in crime, Pete the pug.

Comments are closed.