Sennder Technologies, one of Europe’s leading digital freight forwarders, and Poste Italiane, a leading Italian postal and logistics operator, have renewed their Italian joint venture (Sennder Italia) and commercial agreement for up to 10 years, with the potential to generate up to €2.3bn (US$2.6bn) in revenue during that period. Together, the two logistics leaders are employing technology to optimize full truckload (FTL) operations and boost the movement of parcels and mail between Italy’s sorting and distribution hubs.
Sennder Italia was established in Milan in 2019. Since then, it has become the leading digital operator in the Italian FTL market, reporting €4.5m (US$5m) EBITDA in 2022. The success of the partnership has led to continuous year-on-year double-digit growth as Sennder Italia has grown its network capacity and expanded its customer base.
As part of the new 10-year deal, Poste Italiane and Sennder have agreed to accelerate the respective conversion rights envisaged by the pre-existing agreements. As a result, Sennder owns 75% of Sennder Italia, with the remaining 25% retained by Poste Italiane. In return, Poste Italiane has increased its stake in Sennder to approximately 10% on a fully diluted basis. Sennder will further integrate the Italian network into its broader European platform.
With this partnership, the two logistics leaders will be able to realize economies of scale and accelerate industry digitalization. Poste Italiane will continue to benefit from full GPS visibility of trucks, state-of-the-art automation technology and reduced CO2 emissions through vehicles powered by alternative fuels, as well as their increased use.
Through advanced technology and cutting out middle layers of subcontracting, Sennder has enabled thousands of small carriers to efficiently and transparently transport Poste Italiane’s loads, leading to enhanced operational efficiency and streamlined logistics processes. Sennder’s platform helps track, monitor and operate shipping loads digitally, removing manual processes, reducing empty kilometers and increasing efficiencies. Additionally, Sennder’s technology enables Poste Italiane to track its CO2 footprint and implement green business solutions, thereby reducing emissions.
The collaboration was the initial blueprint for sennCONTROL, Sennder’s innovative service model. sennCONTROL offers end-to-end digital management of customers’ FTL volume through a single portal and interface, ensuring control, transparency and a single point of contact for shippers and carriers. The collaboration between Sennder and Poste Italiane has paved the way for the expansion of sennCONTROL across Europe.