Neopost and Yamato Transport form parcel locker partnership

LinkedIn +

Japanese parcel delivery firm Yamato Transport and shipping solutions provider Neopost have today (May 11) formed a joint venture to operate an open network of secure automated parcel lockers for the delivery of parcels in Japan.

The plan was originally announced in January 2016 but has now been officially established, with Neopost retaining 51% of ownership and Yamato holding the remaining 49%.

The intention is to install 5,000 lockers by 2022 in easily accessible places with a high footfall. The parcel lockers will be primarily used for unsuccessful home deliveries, which currently represent approximately 20% of Yamato’s parcel deliveries.

The pilot phase, which was implemented at the end of last year, proved successful with around 1,000 customers using the lockers during this period. This resulted in a 2% decline in the number of unsuccessful home deliveries. This had a positive impact on both customer service levels and the environment.

From June 2016, the open locker network will be rolled out at Tokyo Metro stations in cooperation with East Japan Railway Company.

May 11, 2016

Share this story:

About Author

, editor-in-chief

Helen has worked for UKi Media & Events for nearly a decade. She joined the company as assistant editor on Passenger Terminal World and since progressed to become editor of five publications, covering everything from aviation, logistics and e-commerce to meteorology. She has a love for travel and property and has redeveloped three houses in three years. When she’s not editing magazines, she’s running around after her two boys and their partner in crime, Pete the pug.

Comments are closed.