Could parcels be carried by rail in the UK? Ian Kerr (Postal Hub Podcast) and Marek Różycki (Last Mile Experts) discuss the proposals and possibilities for parcel delivery piggybacking on rail infrastructure.
Mail by rail isn’t a new concept, but could it be a serious proposition for the 21st century? After going out of fashion, there have been recent trials and announcements in the UK about carrying parcels by train. In the latest Last Mile Prophets video, Ian Kerr and Marek Różycki discuss:
- Royal Mail’s Travelling Post Office and Mail Rail (using the London Underground).
- Using the rail network for carrying parcels.
- Train stations as nodes – parcel lockers and PUDOs.
- Customers collection or dropping off parcels at train stations.
- Transporting parcels by tram in Berlin.
- Ecological benefits and capacity benefits.
- Leveraging existing infrastructure.
- Staffing for parcel handling.
- Integration with other transportation modes.
- Parcel lockers at train stations.